National Traffic Management System - NTMS
This project was conceptualized as a means of improving traffic management in Trinidad and Tobago. The NTMS comprised the following major components:
- A National Traffic Management Centre (NTMC)
- A Centralized Traffic Signal Control System
- A Central Corridor Traffic Management System
- A Closed Circuit Television Subsystem CCTV)
- A Variable Message Sign Subsystem (VDS)
- A Communications Subsystem
The project was completed in June 2011 by IBI Group.
The second phase which involves the implementation of additional systems for Average Speed Enforcement, Red Light Enforcement and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) / Licence Plate Reader System is now underway. Contract was awarded to IBI Group. Completion is scheduled for 2012.
IBI has recently completed a study of traffic volumes at intersections along the East-West Corridor, which will be used for producing timing plans to improve flow of traffic along the Corridor.