The Captain is responsible for the safe and timely transportation of passengers between ports and all ship handling and manoeuvring.\n
CATEGORY OF STAFF CONTRACT
JOB TITLE CAPTAIN – (High-Speed Passenger Ferries)
DEPARTMENT MARITIME SERVICES
The Captain is responsible for the safe and timely transportation of passengers between ports, all ship handling and manoeuvring, onboard crew resource management, the proper implementation, upkeep, and updating of all Flag, Company, and Class requirements, vessel maintenance and security, and the protection of the environment in which the vessel operates
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS – Reports to the Port Captain
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures passengers’ safety and security whilst the vessel is underway.
- Ensure adherence to the vessel’s Safety Management System (SMS) in regard to the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Maintain good situational awareness of the vessel and the environment, observing proper speed, engine parameters, water depths, and the presence of other vessels within the vicinity.
- Ensures all necessary documents are properly maintained including official logs, radio logs, safety inspections, equipment maintenance logs, drills, and safety meetings, utilizing the CMMS where necessary.
- Trains and provides feedback for evaluation of the performance of vessel crew.
- Ensures all vessels are in an audit/survey-ready condition at all times.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable local safety and environmental regulations.
- Motivates the crew to consistently demonstrate a “can do”, customer-friendly attitude; present professional appearance (in uniform), and maintain technical competence in their areas of responsibility.
- Ensures crew adheres to strict codes for attendance and punctuality and implements corrective action to address any deviation.
- Performs other related duties as required.
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
|Strong analytical, decision-making, and reporting skills.|
Effective dynamic leadership skills.
Expert ship handling and manoeuvring capabilities.
Ability to operate in a high-pressure fast-paced environment
QUALIFICATIONS/ MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
|STCW II/2 Master Mariner License (greater than 500GT), from an administration recognized by Trinidad and Tobago’s Maritime Services Division (e.g. Jamaica, UK or accepted by the UK’s administration)|
2 years of experience functioning as a Captain preferably as a Master.
Experience as an Officer on a High-Speed Craft will be considered an asset.
Meet the specified medical requirements for fitness.